Sirocco Saxophone Quartet performs a wide range of music, from ancient baroque transcriptions to brand new commissions. Following their debut album La Danza – a lively programme of dances featuring several transcriptions – for their second release CATCH the quartet developed a programme of purely modern music. They have chosen five pieces by excellent living composers, two of which were commissioned by the ensemble. The quartet is committed to the promotion of new music for their instrument and these talented composers greatly enrich the saxophone’s somewhat limited repertoire.
Through the vast array of colours, textures, sounds, harmonies and noises explored in these works, the saxophone comes alive and is truly in its element.
ON THIS CD
- Third Quartet – Robert Myers (b. 1941)
- Insomnia – Malte Giesen (b. 1988)
- Throw Back – Charlotte Bray (b. 1982, commissioned by SSQ)
- Back to Bar 190! – Thilo Schaller (b. 1980, commissioned by SSQ)
- Catch – Roderik de Man (b. 1941)
Album design by Steve Arscott at Studio in the Sticks